Sunday 21 March 2010

Sport Relief Charity Cake Sale

This week has been a bit of a weird one for me.  Firstly, I forgot my keys at work, and realised the time costly mistake just minutes before arriving at my front door.  Having clocked three hours travelling to work and back that day, the thought of accumulating additional three hours to my total journey time almost tipped me over the edge.  I’m sure anyone who has ever been that situation would have sympathised with my plight.  Secondly, my phone was stolen from my satchel (yes a satchel and a very deep one at that!) on a crowded tube journey to work.  I had slept very well the previous night and was very alert that morning.  Seriously, how daring do you have to be to consider putting your hands in someone else’s bag and have a good search under the watchful eye of the potential victim?  Very daring, I think is the answer for the thieving swine who legged it with my phone, and also enjoyed hours of international calls with it might I add.  My phone bill at the end of the month should be a barrel of laughs :-(.

Anyway, with enough excitement to last a month, it is little wonder I almost forgot about the Sport Relief charity cake sale at work which I had volunteered to contribute towards.  With all proceeds going to Great Ormond Street Hospital and the Royal Institute for the Blind, I decided to go for two of my favourite flavours; double chocolate and coconut.  The cakes were nice and soft perhaps as a result of using the McDougalls Supreme Sponge flour mentioned in the Flour Power blog, and they went down an absolute treat :-).  The fine desiccated coconut covered cupcakes looked so cute and surprisingly delicate, while the double chocolate buttercream frosting looked really vibrant with colourful sprinkles, sugar strands and flowers.  We raised more money than we expected, which was fantastic considering the fun we had baking and selling the cakes.  All in all it was a brilliant end to the week.  
    
Cupcake Treats London x



2 comments:

  1. These chocolate and coconut flavoured cupcakes look absolutely mouth watering, and inviting. I envy whoever had a chance to sink their teeth into them! I also admire how you are using your talents and interests to help those in need. Its exciting to read that the bake sale went better than expected!

    ps. I totally feel your pain about your lost phone! i too had a bag stolen once at Starbucks...not pretty! Anyways, I'm glad this pleasing bake sale put a smile on your face after a hectic start to the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Efua that’s really sweet :-). From what I hear, the cakes went down very well…especially the coconut ones. Charity cake sales are gratifying and such good fun and I would love to make it a regular habit.

    ReplyDelete